Skip to main content

Day 78

  Tuesday, another cloudy, cold day, but it is another day.  PT yesterday was tough.  They had me doing some new exercises, I thought I was in ballet class.  Walk on just your toes, down and back.  Walk on just your heels, down and back.  The toe part was weird, but ok.  I almost couldn't walk on just my heels, without touching your toes to the ground.  Then the stool scoot.  I still don't know how to do that.  I can't get enough traction it seems like.  I guess I just can't bend my knees enough to get my foot planted enough to get traction.  After all that, man did my feet hurt.

   My right knee is still really sore at night.  I stopped taking the prescription pain pills last week, only using Advil and Tylenol, and not very much of that.  I guess I need to take more at night.  I'm thinking about trying the heating pad tonight, maybe that will do it.    I'm trying to sleep without my feet up on a pillow, maybe that's part of it.  I just can't do it for very long, and it starts really aching.

  I go back to work in 9 days, I'm a little nervous.  I definitely think I was in a better place at the same time with the left knee.  I was really expecting this one to be easier, because it wasn't in as bad of condition as the last one.  Maybe it's the way I'm sleeping, maybe not enough walking, or I guess I'm just lucky.  I'll be going back to a nuke plant with a lot of guys, so I'm hoping that will be a good job to try to ease back into things.

  I have been working on things with the security team at church.  I met with the police chief last week, and this last Sunday Kym and I went to the Plainfield campus.  I got to spend some time with the security team leader there, and he showed me around the whole place.  That was big city compared to small town here in Yorkville.  I feel good about what we're doing here, and I think we can plan ahead and be ready to change things as the congregation here grows.

  Yesterday at lunch I was talking with Kym about my recovery, PT, going back to work and everything.  She keeps asking about me going back to work, and whether I'm nervous.  She says she doesn't think I'm ready to go back like I was last time.  "How are you going to go back to work?"  I don't feel as ready as last time either.  I get discouraged about that very thing.  When we look at the range of motion numbers at PT, they are very similar to last time though.  I think that just proves that the numbers don't tell the whole story.  I think she's just scared that I can't do what I need to be able to do.  "Why aren't you better?  I just want my husband back."  My left knee is way better than it was before surgery, still not 100%, and it has gotten a lot better in the 8 1/2 months since then.  I am confident that just going back to work is going to make a lot of difference, and be helpful in getting back to "normal".  At the end of the day, I don't have any option other than to just keep going. 

  Nobody can tell the future, only God.  I keep telling everyone that the bones don't hurt anymore, it's just all the muscles, ligaments, tendons, etc that are still trying to mend and get me back to functioning better than before.  I know it's going to be a process, I just have to keep going.

 

Comments